IRH Member Marina Kesso and herb grower Ross Hennessy will be running a one day certified course for herb growers interested in the growing and harvesting or medicinal herbs in North Sligo.
This course is aimed at the organic farmer or wildcrafter who wishes to grow/harvest medicinal crops for processing into Herbal medicines for human use. We have to follow GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices) standards in our processing facility and GACP with growing and harvesting. This is a requirement from Irish regulators the HPRA (Health Products Regulatory Authority) and insures full trace-ability back to the seed source for each medicinal product. The course content is compiled from years of crop trials that Ross has carried out and up to date European guidelines.
We will cover the following topics on the day:
- Best practice for harvesting and packing.
- How and why it is important to be compliant in growing medicinal crops
- Full trace ability using GACP
- Documentation that is needed for each crop
- Yield value per crop
- Expected yields of crops.
- Crops we will need this year and in the future
- Correct identification and wildcrafting
- Special requirements for certain crops
On the day we can discuss individually with farmers what crops would be suitable for them to grow and what price they will receive for their crop
A large vegetarian lunch will be provided on the day.